Thursday, October 6, 2011

Another bad abbreviation.

Today's post is more of an extension of one I did before.  The short version of 'Rest In Peace' doesn't work for me.  Whenever I see R.I.P, I think of comic gravestones and a quite graphic animation of someone being ripped apart.  Now, this might just be my disturbed mind (not really), but I find it much more elegant and less tack to actually say Rest In Peace.  I feel that if you are going to take the time to remember someone or pay your respects, that you could at least have the decency to write out a full word.  I'm assuming that the only reason R.I.P ever became the norm was because gravestones were hand-carved an expensive (don't quote me on that).  It's almost like putting H.A.G.S in a yearbook.  It means you don't really care.

2 comments:

  1. what does H.A.G.S. mean? it really annoys me when someone mispells something or even worse, uses a homophone. for example, you said "right out the full word" instead of "write out the full word". Very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How embarrassing, I usually never do that. H.A.G.S means 'Have a good summer'.

    ReplyDelete