Thursday, October 20, 2011

Classic Games on Windows 7.

So lately, I have been breaking out the classic computer games from my childhood.  Just this morning, I tried to play Gizmos and Gadgets (in my opinion one of the greatest games ever created).  First I tried it on my desktop.  Sadly, I couldn't even run the installer because I run 64-bit.  Next I set up a virtual computer running 32-bit, but for some reason, it hated the video drivers, even when I set all the compatibility settings right.  I ended up having to use my netbook, run in 256 colors at 640 x 480, but let me tell you: It's worth it.  I also got the original Rollercoaster Tycoon running, but I have to exit Windows Explorer, run it at low resolution, and even then it randomly crashes sometimes.  Why can I run other 32-bit applications on my 64-bit computer, but old ones refuse to run?  Why even when I run things in 256 colors does Windows Explorer cause everything to be the wrong colors?  I believe some of these problems were fixed in the Developer Preview of Windows 8.... wow, look at me geek out.

3 comments:

  1. Lol I think the last time I tried that was back on an old XP system

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it DOES say ages 7-12...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the best game ever created! :D btw you need DOSbox (simulator).

    ReplyDelete